More Theme Experimenting

Last week I blogged about my search for the right theme for Aisle 2 Bin 36. Since then, I’ve adjusted my preferences a little bit. Originally, I was thinking about selecting a “magazine” theme. Now, I’m considering more “portfolio” style themes.

This idea actually emerged from a discussion about my Engl 314 group’s website design for Apropos Literary Journal. In my group’s search for a theme for Apropos, I’ve also found a few themes described as “portfolio” themes I like that I’m going to try out for my ds106 project.

I like these because they don’t necessarily appear like blogs intended primarily for blog entries, entail little scrolling and offer the opportunity to showcase certain elements of a project in interesting ways.

Here’s one example, using “The Unstandard” theme. One of my big challenges with selecting a theme is considering the best way to present this project using a theme.

I am thinking about using a few simple words with this theme: Read. Listen. View. Navigate…I would use the large “Featured” box as “Read,” using it to link to a page that just includes text articles since the articles are the biggest aspect of this project. Then, I could use 2-4 of the smaller boxes to showcase other storytelling options: listen (audio), view (images), navigate (google map). The sidebar would have an “About” widget explaining the project, among other features.

FotoFolio is another option. As the title suggests, it’s more of theme to showcase photography, but I think it’s still workable. Content would be linked to from the thumbnails; each article (Part 1, Part 2 and so on) and/or audio story/etc. could perhaps be linked to from a single thumbnail.

I really won’t know what works best until I start uploading and posting my project’s content on the site, which will occur over Thanksgiving Break, so stay tuned!