Recipe 5 – Brunswick Stew

The original recipe I found here at Simple Daily Recipes and it both looked delicious in the picture and reminded me of my mam’s homemade Brunswick Stew which I LOVE. As soon as I saw it, I wondered if it could be made in a crock pot rather than a dutch oven, and I am glad to say it worked wonderfully!

First, I washed and cut up all the vegetables (carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, corn, and also lima beans, even though they weren’t in the recipe) and put them in the crock pot with some italian seasoning, rather than the ones listed. I also put the chicken and some water in a pot on the stove on boil until it was cooked all the way through.

I soon realized that the veggies were going to take too long to cook in just the pot, so I threw them in on the stove for a little while until they were tender. Afterwards, I put them back in the crock pot.

Next, I added the bay leaf and a can of crushed tomatoes rather than chopped ones.

Then, the chicken was taken out off the stove, broken apart, and added to the pot. The chicken broth was also added.

Lastly, everything was stirred together and left to sit in the pot for about 2-3 hours (though next time I will definitely let it sit all day) on med. Oh, and then I ate it and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!! The proportions were a little different than the recipe called for (more chicken and veggies) because of how I halved the recipe, but that was all to taste. =] I think this is a great example of how blogs can affect other people – I got this recipe from someone else’s food blog, and now I have a recipe I know I will be using for a loooooong time.

Next post will be about the brownies I brought to class, and hopefully soon I will have a video post about a recipe I make. Once we stop using video in class and I have time to do so. ;]