Recipe 1 – Mexican Shepherds Pie

From to

I started by chopping the green onions and adding them to the skillet with the beef and some butter. I didn’t really measure the onions though, I just did until I felt like there was enough. I let them cook/sauté on mid-high until there was no more pink.

Meanwhile, the potatoes were made by following the directions on the box – “in 2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and 1 pouch potatoes with seasoning just until bended. Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed; beat with fork until smooth.”

Once the beef was cooked, I drained it, then added cheesy taco seasoning instead of cumin and chili powder because I don’t really like spicy. The directions on that packet called for a little milk, so I added that as well. I turned the stove down to about 3 or 4 here. Then I added the salsa and mexicorn to the skillet. I bought Pace Super Chunky salsa rather than Old El Paso because I couldn’t find it in Walmart.

The directions said to layer the corn over the beef, but I ran out of room in my skillet, so I just mixed them all up. Then, instead of spooning the mashed potatoes over the already too full skillet, I added the beef/corn/salsa mixture into the saucepan on top of the mashed potatoes, with the stove still on about 4. I did not add any more green onions like the recipe called for.

I then put a heavy layer of mozzarella cheese on top (not cheddar like the recipe said. I am a mozzarella cheese addict. NOMS!) and let it sit for a few minutes until the cheese was melted.

I lastly cut up the tomato and arranged it on top, and then added more cheese because it is so yummy.

Then, I feasted. It was delicious. =D I also added Tostitos with Lime because the recipe said tortillas were optional, and I love Tostitos with Lime. It worked very well.

I changed several things about this recipe as I cooked it, and I think I did so well. I added and subtracted ingredients based on my own tastes. Betty Crocker said the timing should only be about 30 minutes, but I found it closer to an hour. And, it definitely made more than four servings – more like 6. It was very filling. To see all the pictures I took while cooking, go here. My next dish will be peach salsa, sometime later this week. Also, thanks to Christopher for potato-making, some picture taking, and taste testing. =D

—————————————-

Original Recipe:
1 lb extra lean (at least 93%) ground beef
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky Salsa
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® Mexicorn® corn, drained
1 pouch Betty Crocker® loaded mashed potatoes (from 6.1 oz box)
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
1 medium tomato, sliced into thin wedges
Tortilla chips, if desired

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings

1. In 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef and 1/4 cup of the green onions over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in salsa, chili powder and cumin. Spoon corn evenly over beef mixture in skillet. Cover and cook over low heat until mixture is thoroughly heated.
  2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and 1 pouch potatoes with seasoning just until bended. Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed; beat with fork until smooth.
  3. Spoon potatoes over corn in skillet; spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup green onions. Cover; cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Arrange tomato wedges in spoke fashion over potatoes. Garnish with tortilla chips around outside edge of skillet.