Tooth #7: Made Ya Look!

Drum Roll Please!

Drum Roll

AND NOW!

………

The Moment You’ve All (I’m Sure) Been Waiting For

………

THE OFFICIAL KOREAN MUSIC BLOG!!!

Now, before we begin, I think it’s a good idea to take a quick review, a listen down Musical Lane if you will! I’ll go through some of the videos I’ve shared with you over the semester, just as a nice warm-up as we crescendo to the heart of this post…

First I started out with a soft, simple selection so as not to SHOCK and awe, but rather to inspire. I said this simple piano piece from Epitone Project  would set an easygoing, contemplative tone for my blog, and I hope it has.

Second, I used a very different strategy. This time I tried very hard to SHOCK and awe you guys. I needed to grab your interest! So here, back for an encore performance, is the Korean Lady Gaga, Boa!

Third, and sadly last, I posted a video reminiscent of the Age of Boy Bands, AKA the 90′s. Here, the group Shinee bravely returns to that epic time where choreography and costuming were more important than lyrics.

After reviewing all of these videos, I’m sure you’re wondering, “Ok…What next!?

Well, nothing actually!

Here comes the REAL shock of it all…that’s it!!! With all of my research and illegally downloaded Limewire, I’ve come to an interesting realization. All of this music I was listening to, it all had one thing in common….and that was language. Strangely enough, I don’t mean the Korean language! If you notice, from song titles to lyrics, none of these songs did without English!

What’s even more fascinating, is that as I went through the semester asking the Korean students about what kind of music they listened to, I realized that they knew more American pop music than me! That’s the music that they listen to in Korea, so that’s what they know! It seems strange, and from an American perspective, almost unthinkable! And yet my collection of Korean music didn’t grow as quickly as I originally imagined it would. Instead, my library of today’s big Grammy nominees broadened, because that’s what they knew! 

When asked what one of the student’s FAVORITE song was, this was the resulting video:

With the group name, song title, and lyrics being in English, I don’t have to tell you I was a little thrown! Still, as glad as I am that their music is so accessible, I find it frustrating that it’s our language that has become so dominant. I suppose it’s just a result of globalization, but I don’t think that’s a very good excuse.

I think we’re quickly coming to an age where we need to begin to meet in the middle, or, God-forbid, bend our American ways a bit. I’m not saying we should all stop speaking English and learn Mandarin for when the Chinese take over, but I am saying that it’s time we look out to others as real equals from whom we have a great deal to learn.

If anything, at least we’ll learn ourselves a bit better!

So for my final Tooth vocabulary word, and word of farewell, I chose the phrase “Id da ba!” Instead of saying a permanent goodbye, I hope, just with the Korean students, that this is not our last meeting. “Id da ba” means, “See you later!” and of course I figure that I will, “Id da ba!”

:]

P.S. Quick side note! POGOjust posted some new mashups….PLEASE check it out!

P.P.S. My posts title is totally referencing Aladdin when, at the very end, Genie picks up the film reel and says, “Made ya look!” as if he’s tricked us…..Yes, I spent about 35 minutes looking for the video on Youtube…..No, they don’t have it. But that doesn’t make it any less of a classic catch phrase!