The Web Is Dead Debate

The article The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet by Chris Anderson and Michael Wolff makes a valid point.  This article goes into the fact that people these days are not using the web like they used to.  Society has grown into the “apps” stage, where a lot of people are using their applications and softwares running through the internet, and not using the web browser at all.  Like we discussed in class, the internet and the web are NOT the same thing.  Anderson describes in his section how he believes that it is our fault and we should take the blame for the web dying.  Anderson gives an example of an average person using the internet on an ordinary day.  “You’ve spent the day on the Internet — but not on the Web. And you are not alone.” Then there is the “Blame Them” attitude by Michael Wolff.  His focusing point is companies.  With his section, I am not as clear as the theme to this one as the “Blame Us” section.  Wolff talks about companies and specific people in the film and music business and how they have developed software or programs through the internet, especially since they are pushing their way back into control.  Why?  Because that is where the money is.

Here’s a question:  What does Anderson mean by “front and back ends”?  Closed networks, browser usage, any of those make sense on which is a front or back end?  Help me out people.  But moving on, I know that they are really focusing on an app based web now.  People love this because it “…allows clients to be smaller and lighter…”  In O’Reily’s response to Anderson’s answer back,  he talks of open and closed networks having to keep battling for the spot.  Isn’t that as obvious of good vs evil will always exist?  Maybe not to others, but I feel as if that it is something that will always happen.  And I love that he made a reference to Lord of the Rings (huge fan people) about companies wanting to “rule the one ring.”  But when John Batelle joins the conversation, he disagrees that the “Web is or will be dead”.  He says that people have too much time on their hands to let the web die in the hands of an app based world.

On another note, I feel like Anderson is being impatient with the web.  What happened to the phrase Rome wasn’t built in a day?  He says that the web has had 20 years to build a viable business model, and has failed.  20 years is not that long for a new technology like itself, and look how far it has come since then.  I also love that Batelle threw in a last comment about Wired Magazine being overdramatic by stating the Web is dead.